Happy Pi Day 2016: So, Today is the day which is dedicated to mathematical constant “Pi”. This day is observed in the United States of America on 14th March every year because the first three significant figures of the value of Pi are 3, 1, and 4.
This celebration is meant for the United States as they follow the format of mm-dd. The other regions of the globe use dd-mm-yy and according to which the day would fall in the 14th month of the year and that is not possible.
The large-scale official celebration of the day was organised in 1988 by Larry Shaw in the region of San Francisco by marching around one other in circular and eating fruit pies. And till the Exploratorium celebrates the day annually.
The U.S. House of Representatives done efforts and made the day a national day for the country on 14th March 2009. Some people were observed to celebrate the whole month as the “Pie Month”. The more significant date and time were 3/14/15 at 9:26:53 a.m. which represented the 10 significant figures of the constant.
Happy Pie Day 2016 Facts
Here are some interesting facts of the mathematical constant.
- Pi is the ratio of the circumference of any circle to it diameter. And the size of the circle doesn’t matter, the value will always be the same.
- The great mathematician, Archimedes used the concept of polygons to determine the approximation of a circle and with this, the value comes out to approx. 22/7.
- The first letter of “Pi” is derived from the perimeter of the circle. The constant sign π become popular in the year 1737.
- The value of Pi has been calculated up to trillion of decimal places. Only 39 of them are needed for the calculation of the volume of our Universe.
- When we look at the number “3.14” in a mirror, it seems like the word “PIE”.
- And it’s fun to memorize the more and more decimal places of the value of Pi.